A new year, 2012



Keeping up with this blog is a bit more challenging then I imagined.  But I still enjoy it and hope to do it on a more regular basis.  I have had quite a few running experiences since my last post.  As I write/edit this I am counting down the minutes to the US Marathon team trials being aired on NBC.  Pretty exciting!  I was happy to see that some ultra trail runners qualified to run in the trials.  A few names include Jenn Shelton and Max King.  I am routing for Kara Goucher on the women’s side.  Don’t tell my wife I said this, but she is a babe!

Last Sunday, February 8, I ran the Xterra White Tanks 20K trail race.  I was really excited for it.  I had it in mind to treat it as a training run for the Cold Water Rumble 50K coming up on February 21st at Estrella Mountain in Goodyear, Arizona.  I still wanted to push myself to the limit and get a good time at the race.  I feel like I accomplished that.  I gave it all I had. 

It was also exciting to have some good buddies running the race Shon, Patrick (Shon’s Son), Tim, Giles and John (Tim and Giles Dad).  I love running and it is great to hang out with people who share the same love.  Xterra puts on a great race.  I really enjoy their events.   

My 4 year old daughter, Sofia, participated in the kid’s race.  Not even a few yards out she fell hard and face planted.  She was crying and had dirt all on her lips.  I asked her if she wanted to quit and she said no.  She got up fell once more before finishing the race.  I think it might have been a little over 50 yards.  I was so proud of her.  Just to see the smile on her face at the finish with the Xterra crew clapping and cheering her on.  She got a finishers medal and toy.  Good Job Fia girl!  I hope to not be one of those parents that push their kids to hard.  But deep down I do hope they are involved in sports.  

On New Year’s Eve, I met up with Tim and Giles to go running in the Town of Cave Creek, Arizona.  We entered the Tonto National Forest and ran the Cave Creek Trail number 4 which passes the Seven Springs Campground.  The trail was very technical.  I enjoyed the views and the variety of terrain we crossed.  The night before the run Tim had text me we would be running 25 miles.  I was up for it.  But to be honest I was a little nervous.  I felt good out there on the trail.  It was one hell of a day.  Some steep climbing but it was just the training run I needed as I look forward to the Cold Water Rumble.  My body seems to be recovering well which leads me to believe my training and nutrition are good. 

 I have got a few goals for this up coming year. One for sure is to stay healthy all year.  Last few years I have had some type of injury that keeps me from training.  Also looking to better my financial situation, which I think will give me and my family peace of mind. I know it will be well worth the sacrifices we have made and are going to make.  I got 2 ultra’s I am running for sure and hope to add on a few more.  I really want to run the Noble Canyon 50 K again.

Well I did not get into the Zane Grey 50 Mile Race.  I am bummed, but really considering volunteering and paying it forward.  I know how much I appreciated all the aide station workers at my first ultra.  Might go ahead and make a trip out it, plus be cool to see the race and camp out.

Peace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post Mogollon 100. Another Great Time at Javelina Jundred

Cedro Peak Ultra Marathon 45k Race Report

2014 Zane Grey 50 Miler