2015 IS HERE: Castle Hot Springs 22Miler - Thunder Bird 50k Recap


Two Thousand Fifteen!  Can you believe it; Crazy how time flies.  The year started off great, especially after having one of the most relaxing Christmas and New Years seasons ever.  It was so nice to not have to rush from house to house.   We got to spend some quality time with the kids, and actually enjoy our home, which we have been in just over a year.   
Okay, okay enough of the mushy stuff.  Time for the RUNNING SH%%!
Having fun at the ARR Castle Hot Springs Run.  Photo Boston Brian Soto















I Started off the year again with the Castle Hot Springs 22 miler; 3rd year in a row.   I love this race/run; Low key, great peeps, scenic, and challenging course.  The myth is that your finishing time for this race is your marathon time.  I tied my time from last year finishing in 3hr 45 min and change.  The whole mood was different this year, I put no pressure on myself, and in turn had a blast running with Brian and Manoj. We ran, talked, snapped pictures, and just had satisfying run.


Lake Pleasant in the background. 
Boston Brian Soto and Monoj.  We had a blast.


One of many down hills.  Lots of rolling jeep roads.


































My wife Liz is training for her first half marathon.  (IMS on 2/15/15)  It’s been fun seeing her progress and also getting to run with her.  The only tricky thing is when we both have a long runs scheduled and we have no sitter.  So I took advantage of my mom’s offer  to watch the kiddos and set it up so Liz could join me at the Thunderbird 50k (TB50k).   Liz has run some trails, although she prefers the road, we were both looking forward to this run. 


The TB50k is a fun, fat ass style trail race, put on by Marc Thompson of the T-Bird Trail Runners.  I have wanted to run it the last few years but opted out due to being signed up for the Coldwater Rumble 50K (CW50k) the weekend after.   But this year instead of racing CW50k, I am working an aid station, and was finally able to partake in the TB50k. 

Giles, Me, Matthew

Having a Blast.  


Toward the end of the second segment, I had a strange feeling, and decided to look at my cell phone.  There was a text from Liz.  She said she had fallen and hit her mouth on a rock. She was also worried she may have done damage to her teeth.  My heart sunk a bit.  I yelled out to Giles, who I was running with from the start, what had happen.  We pushed the pace finishing the second segment.  When we got to the aid station I fully expected to see Liz.  But she had not checked back in. 

I let Scott, who was working the aid station, know what had happen.  He said he had not seen Liz.  I called her cell, and as soon as she answered, I asked where she was and if she was okay.  What a trooper.  She had regrouped and was going to finish her mileage on the road.   She encouraged me to finish my run.  I triple checked with her before heading out on segment 3.

Segment 3 was a 3.2 mile lollipop type loop.  When I got back the aid station, also the start and finish line, Liz was sitting on the picnic table icing her lip.   I immediately hugged her and asked her a million times, which I could tell annoyed her, if she was okay.  She was in good spirits even with the blood on her lips, cheek and t-shirt sleeves.  I told Marc I was done for the day.  I am grateful to Scott Lump and Marc Thompson for making sure Liz was okay.   The trail was very rocky, but the weather was perfect for a trail run.  I’d like to go back next year and complete the 50k course.  For now Liz will stick to the roads.




Liz "wifey" and I.  She was in good spirits. TUFF. PROUD OF HER!!



So up next, I got the Black Canyon Trail 100k.  Part of the Montrail Ultra Cup series.  Super Excited!  But the one that I cannot get off my mind is Zane Grey in April.  REVENGE.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2013 Coldwater Rumble 50k

Cedro Peak Ultra Marathon 45k Race Report

A new year, 2012