Whiskey Row Marathon 2012, Prescott AZ



Finally my first official road marathon (26.2 Miles) is on the books. I don’t think I could have picked a better race to achieve this goal. The Whiskey Row Marathon starts at 5,280 feet, with the elevation increasing to 7,000 feet over the first seven miles. I knew it would be tough and was ready and willing for the challenge.  Prescott has a special place in my heart because I spent many summer breaks there as a kid.   Last year I ran the half marathon and vowed to be back to run the full.  http://www.whiskeyrowmarathon.com/

Going into this race I had competed in 4 Ultra Marathons, completing 3 of them.  Yet there was new nervousness and excitement.  I wanted to do well and had my eyes on finishing in 4 hours. My official finishing time was 4:07:50.  Nearly 8 minutes over my goal time but I have no regrets or what ifs.

 I wish I could do this race more justice with this blog.  Besides how I felt during the run not sure many words can truly capture the beauty of this race.  For most of the race you run on forest service road with trees hugging both sides of the road.  I would highly suggest this race to any runner.  The small town feel and great volunteers are just icing on the cake.  I plan to make this an annual event. 

I would like to congratulate my wife on finishing her first 10K.  We ran this race to celebrate 6 years of marriage.  The trip to Prescott was just what we needed to relax and celebrate our love for each other and for running.

 Looking forward to some time off and then getting ready for my first 50 mile race.  Very possibly the “Flagstaff 50 Mile” in September put on by Aravaipa Running.  http://www.aravaiparunning.com/flagstaff/ 
I need to reflect on how much I have accomplished this past year.  I also want to realistically set some goals and train with a new focus.  I love this sport.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2013 Coldwater Rumble 50k

Cedro Peak Ultra Marathon 45k Race Report

A new year, 2012