“Damn bro! You ran The Dam Good Run!” 26K


finishing races never get old

When I started running again back around 2009-10 and got hooked. I had began searching for every run available. One run that kept showing up was this run at Lake Pleasant which was advertised as the only time you could run across the the Dam. But the price and distances available held me back. I had also become obsessed with ultra marathons, any mileage over 26.2 miles, and just kept putting it off.

A few weeks I ago I finally took part in The Dam Good Run. I am not sure how many years its been since Aravaipa has taken it over the race, but I was excited knowing the quality of their races, and one of my best friends was going to lose his Aravaipa Race Virginity!
Dam Good Run

I opted to run to run the 26k. I was still recovering from the Black Canyon 100k, busy life, and my training had been minimal. But also was hoping to maybe be able to race and actually compete. Typically I am a mid to back of the pack runner in Ultras. Have had success placing in 5k to 10k distances. So I was curious to see what I could do.

The Trio, My dad “Pops or Alex Sr.", Ruben “birthday boy”, and I “5K A” arrived to the race about an hour prior to our start. There was breeze and chill in the air. But view of the lake always seems to hypnotize me. I began to get pumped up. We got our bibs, hit the Port-A-John then retreated to the car. I love that electricity in the air when your ready to embark on a journey. 3 members of the WESURG crew were ready to rumble.

The race started and I immediately moved to the front group. The pace did not seem to be that fast. But I know better. I had 16 +/- miles to cover so I backed off as much as I could. No lie, I counted and knew my position; I was in 10th place. Crossing the Waddell Dam was amazing. Granted we were pounding pavement but the view of the lake made my morning.

Soon we made sharp turn and hit desert single track. While running you could see the trickle of runner still on the road. I saw Ruben, he cheered me on, I waved back but was consumed by trying hold my phone steady as I was taken video. About 3 miles in I was again contemplating my speed. I decided to let a runner pass me. Plus I could not take video with him breathing down my neck. It was a good excuse to steady my pace.

I have run, during training, 80 percent of the course. The part I was currently on was all new to me. I knew where I was and was anticipating getting on familiar trail so I could execute my run. The Agua Fria Aid station is at mile 5.3 of the race and outside the park, and the spot many runners and bikers park when doing training runs and rides. I knew from this spot what I would be facing. It was nice see Chian and high five him as I blew through the aid station.

Shortly after I came upon an overgrown portion of the trail where the trees create a canopy and you cross a wood bridge/plank. It's short, but to me, so delightful. I began to pass runners in the 40K race. I was still able to catch glimpse of runner ahead of me in my race. The race offered 5 distances: 40K, 26K, 13K, 4 mile, and 2 mile.

About mile 7 or so you cross a road and continue on to single track. This portion has some climbs. Suddenly I noticed a heaviness in my legs. They felt like lead. At the speed I was running, I was not surprised considering my training had been minimal. But I kept running/jogging. I did not want to walk or hike. I still had hopes of breaking into the top ten. Soon I was hitting some nice down hill. I was anticipating seeing the lake and was noticing the sun and how warm it was getting.
Finally I reached the next aid station, Two Cow. I was relived. Yup needed a bathroom break. I filled my bottle and was off. The turn around was near and I only had 6 miles left in the run. At Scorpion Bay mile 11.9 I crossed the timing mat and immediately turned around as two runners were on my tail. I could only hope they were stopping for aid.

That's when I noticed a funny taste in my water bottle. It tasted like bleach. Disclaimer. I am not putting the race on blast. I am a huge supporter and fan of Aravaipa. Possible the container the water was in just did not get fully rinsed. I was not going to let It effect my race. I did not bother to stoop at Two Cow Aid on the way back and I decided to instead keep pushing on with only 3 miles to go.

I got passed again by two runner which put moved me to 13th place. Crap. I begun to hurt all over. I was thinking on the fact I have finished way longer races and yet was feeling pain in a 16 mile race. What the heck? But thinking on it each distance is relative and the effort put forth is the most optimal to get you to the finish.

I could hear the announcer an the music at the finish line. I was thirsty, cramping, and legs felt like lead. Soon I was past again putting me in 14th. Looking at my watch I knew I had less than a mile to go. I cursed the last little climb but soon crested it and cross the road. I ran into the finish and nearly fell while Jeff K. caught me before handing me my finishers cup. I was joyous. I did not continue on and run into the lake like many do. I hate to be cold. Plus I wanted to be there to see Ruben and my dad finish.

Said it before and ill say it again. I love this sport. Love sharing it with friends and to see how the fire burning in their eyes. Ruben hated running in high-school but is now tearing up the traild in Tucson.   Seeing my dad finish these races brings me so much joy.

It was a great day weather wise. The trails at Lake Pleasant do not disappoint and what can I say.
Mater P Voice. “I’m an Aravaipa Soldier, I thought I told Ya..”

2 days out from the Aprils Fools backyard Ultra. 8 Hours in Jamil's backyard. Running loops.

Here is a link to a Video I made during the run. Not my best Video. Flores 26K


Peace


The crew. Ruben, Senior Flores and ME
about mile 2.5 or so

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cedro Peak Ultra Marathon 45k Race Report

A Humbling Experience... Flagstaff 50 Mile Endurance Run

Black Canyon Trail 100k, 2015!