April Fool’s Backyard Ultra 2019 * April 26, 2019



The run/race took place, literally, in the Race directors backyard on a 238 meter hand made course. Trail work at its finest. The event was labeled as an 8 Hour Ultra Marathon where you could go as you please. It was also a bring your aid event. Besides your own aid we were all encouraged, of course if its your thing, to bring beer and or any other adult beverages of your choice. I knew this was going to be fun.

The moment I saw this run advertised I had to sign up. I had missed out on the Black Friday Backyard Ultra in November 2018. Which was in the same backyard but a shorter loop. As that run progressed, so did the length of the course, which gave birth to the April Fools Backyard Ultra. Big Shout out to JAM JAM AKA Jamil Coury for hosting such a great event. Muchos Gracias
Image from Jamil Coury Instagram page. This was the whole course
OK time for the Juicy stuff.
vid of a loop on the course

My dad and I pulled into a neighborhood near the Phoenix Mountain Preserve. I was super curious to see the course. As my GPS explained “destination on your left” I could see a familiar Aravaipa pop up tent next to a Solomon Pop up tent. This was the place. We parked and greeted other runners carrying their gear towards the house we would soon be circling for 8 hours.

My dad and I carried our stuff passed the carport into the backyard patio area. We were greeted by new and familiar faces. “The Flores are here.” I so enjoy all the time I get to spend with my dad now that he is an Ultra runner. Been such a great blessing and I am grateful. After setting up our camp chairs and getting our Race bib and timing chipped anklets we headed to front of the house anticipating the start of the run. Jamil, owner of Aravaipa Running, was using this run to test a new timing system.

As part of the run briefing Jamil showed everyone the awards he had made for Top Three male and female finishers. The second I saw them I wanted one. The closes I have gotten to a podium spot at an ultra was 5th over all at the Adrenaline Night runs At McDowell Mountain Park in 2013. I feel like I do well at timed events and thought how sweet it would be to bring home one of those awards.

We started out clock wise. It was so interesting to see the little course that had been laid out for us. Within 2 minutes I was on loop 2. The course had a bit of everything from climbing, down hill, flat, technical, concrete and even a few deteriorating steps. The first few laps were fun, talking and joking about the course. I mentioned to Arron Berger who I was running with that my goal for the day was 50k (31 miles). I thought that was a good goal considering I was still on the mend from Black Canyon 100k and The Dam Good Run 26k.

2 hours in we switched directions. I had to change socks and shoes due to hot spots on both my feet. I never have feet problems. Thinking it was the socks I choose to wear. Thinner that what I am used too. Anyhow, I was averaging about 5.5 MPH. Which felt comfortable but I was still trying to lock into a steady pace. I was feeling fatigued and my legs were feeling heavy. I had caught my dad along a loop and told him how I was feeling. We had both, at that moment, re-evaluated our goals. He said anything over 15 miles would be bonus. I told him I would be happy with a marathon.
sharing the trail with my dad.  Oh and Kevin  Photo by Jamil Coury

As hours passed the field begin to thin out. There were still a few guys who seemed to lapping me every so often. As the day went on new runners would pop in to do a few laps and check out the shenanigans. The Araviapa Run Tribe is alive and well. The number runners socializing and drinking beer on the patio was growing. I was tempted to join, but did not want to lose my momentum. So I made a deal with myself, that after 20 miles, I'd reward myself with a brew.

Huss Brewing had sponsored the run with an Ice Chest full of beer. I hit twenty grabbed a cold one and popped the tab. The beer was refreshing, but as sat to drink it, thoughts crossed my mind: the key to timed events is to never stop moving. I begin to feel guilty, like I was cheating myself. Was I here for fun, to compete, or ….​​​??? I needed to keep moving.
 

As I got back to running loops I was thinking about all the compliments my dad was getting. Everyone was like, “your dads going to beat you. He is like the energizer bunny.” I think my dad has come along way. He has no quit in him. He was keeping a steady pace and racking up the miles. I think timed races could be his thing! I was now re-focused and determined to keep moving. Relentless, forward motion.

It was nearing 1 PM which would mark the the 6th hour of the run and the last change of direction. I was beginning to feel the heat. I was also trying to figure out if I would be able to podium. This when we noticed a discrepancy with the timing system. For one there was mix up with me and my dads timing chips. Second there was a discrepancy with with the miles calculated by timing system and my watch. Jamil and an associate begin to work on fixing the problem. I knew the mileage was off. And with less then two hours left I wanted to know where I stood place wise.

Once the time situation was fixed I found myself in 4th place. I was a bit bummed. I had thought I was in second or even possibly 1st. I felt bit deflated and was debating on to call it a day. with a little over an  so left I tried muster up some mental strength. From time to time Keven Rauter joined me for lap as my pacer. Thank You again Kevin I appreciated it. I was ecstatic when I Saw I had moved into third place. The field had thinned out and less then 8 runners were still on the course. I knew If I could just keeping moving I could secure a podium spot.  It was now a game of who was willing to keep going. 

Kevin continued to join me every other lap or so. Those were my faster laps and kept me pumped up. I was hot and continually poured water to keep myself cool. Jeremy, who was in second place, and I teamed up to finish the last 15 or so minutes together. With about 5 minutes left Kevin joined us and I tried to push the pace. But I was exhausted and in classic Alex fashion began to dry heave. 3 minutes or so were left but I could not continue. I was dry heaving but had nothing to spew but saliva with traces of stomach acid and Fireball. Yeah It had numbed the pain. But maybe was no the best idea to take the equivalent of a double shot at about mile 30 or so.

I was satisfied with my performance and beyond excited know I had secured 3rd place. After the award ceremony on the porch. I enjoyed the cool water of the pool, with good friends and few good brews.
What a run. I finished with 35.86 miles.  Results  My dad got in 30.
It was a blast
On to the next adventure.



Photo by Jamil Coury



My Bling Bling




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cedro Peak Ultra Marathon 45k Race Report

A Humbling Experience... Flagstaff 50 Mile Endurance Run

Black Canyon Trail 100k, 2015!